Pope Francis has canceled his weekly Sunday prayer appearance as he continues receiving treatment for a respiratory tract infection. The 88-year-old Pontiff was admitted to Rome’s Gemelli Hospital on Friday morning after battling bronchitis for over a week.
In an official statement, the Vatican confirmed his absence, emphasizing that he would remain under medical supervision for as long as necessary to ensure a full recovery. His medical team decided to cancel the appearance to support his healing process, highlighting the need for rest and close monitoring.
On Saturday, doctors adjusted his treatment based on new microbiological findings, with Vatican officials noting that recent lab tests showed some improvement. However, no specific timeline has been set for his discharge.
“We will assess how he responds to treatment. There is no exact date for his release,” said Matteo Bruni, director of the Vatican’s press office. A later update reassured the public that Francis had no fever, had received Communion, and was spending his time resting, praying, and reading.
The Gemelli Hospital, Rome’s largest medical center, houses a dedicated papal suite that has historically treated Popes, including John Paul II. Francis himself was hospitalized in the same facility in June 2023 for abdominal hernia surgery.
Outside the hospital, worshippers gathered near a statue of Pope John Paul II, offering prayers for Francis’ swift recovery. “We were saddened when we heard the news yesterday morning,” said Giovanni Di Muro, an Italian visiting his son in the hospital. “We hope it’s nothing serious and that he recovers soon.”
This marks the Pope’s fourth hospitalization at Gemelli in recent years. Now relying on mobility aids such as a wheelchair, walker, or cane, Francis has faced multiple health challenges, including influenza, abdominal surgery, and recurrent lung infections. His respiratory issues trace back to major lung surgery he underwent in his youth due to pleurisy.
Concerns over his health had been growing even before his hospitalization. Last month, he struggled to read statements during public events, prompting aides to step in and deliver his remarks. Despite these challenges, he had maintained a rigorous schedule.
Since Christmas, Francis has presided over Jubilee events every other weekend while managing numerous private meetings. On Monday alone, he met with the Vatican ambassador to Croatia, a delegation of bishops from Madagascar, the EU’s foreign policy chief, a candidate for UNESCO’s top position, the rector of the Grand Mosque of Paris, and Russian painter Nikas Safronov.
This weekend, he was set to meet with artists and lead a Jubilee audience at Rome’s famed Cinecittà Studios, but the Vatican has canceled those engagements.
While his condition remains stable, concerns persist about how long he can continue fulfilling his demanding role. As the Vatican closely monitors his health, the faithful continue to pray for his strength and recovery, hoping he will soon be able to resume his responsibilities.